Friday, May 29, 2015

Baked Baby Back Ribs

So the other day, I finally got around to cooking the baby back ribs Charles and I got from our local butcher shop.

When we realized that our local grocery store wasn't butchering their meat anymore, we decided to shop around for a local place and found a pretty great deal at Mosely's Meats. For $99 we get 2 lbs ground sirloin, 1 whole fryer, 6 pork chops, 4 cubed steaks, 2 bacon wrapped sirloins, 1 pork roast, 1 beef roast, 1 lb bacon, 1 lb smoked sausage, and 1 slab baby back ribs.

I looked to The Joy of Cooking and Alton Brown for inspiration on how to cook up some deliciousness.

I decided to use a dry rub and bake the ribs. Charles doesn't like BBQ sauce and we don't have a smoker so really baking with a dry rub was my only choice.

For the dry rub I combined:
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper 
1/4 cup garlic powder







This made more than enough dry rub for the ribs. I had enough left over to put some on the pork roast before I put it in the crock pot... but thats another blogpost.

I mixed all the spices together and put a thick layer on the ribs and let them sit in the fridge for a couple or three hours.
Then, inspired by Alton Brown's, Who Loves Ya Baby-Back rib recipe from Good Eats I wrapped the ribs in tinfoil and added some braising liquid.  I also roasted some whole carrots beside the rib packages of goodness.

For the braising liquid I combined:
1 cup tomato wine (because I have a friend that makes tomato wine)
2 Tbs white wine vinegar
2 Tbs worchestershire sauce
1 Tbs honey

I baked the ribs at about 225 degrees for about two hours then checked to see if they were done. They weren't so I put them back in for another two hours and when I checked they were falling off the bone, so I knew they were ready. I drained the braising liquid into a sauce pan, added a cup of tomato wine and reduced it to a glaze for the ribs.