Monday, April 20, 2015

Mental Health day

Today was interesting. I woke up at 7:00 but I was still really tired when I woke up. I went through the normal motions of the day but then around noon I started feeling blah. To clarify, blah is when my brain is trying to tell me I feel bad, when I really don't blah is when I want to lay on the couch and not move all day. I don't know, maybe because it has been raining here in Mobile, AL for a solid week, I felt like I had to get out of the house.





I grabbed my camera and headed to my standby place to take pics, Langan Park. It was a really good day to take pics too. Not too hot, with just enough breeze to keep it interesting. I started walking and decided I was going to do a big loop around the park, and then if I still felt up for it, I would drive over and walk around the Japanese Gardens.

There was so many seagulls making noise as well as a few families of Canadian geese. There didn't seem to be as many ducks as usual, but there were plenty of turtles hanging out by the bridge to the museum.


On the other side of the river I found some wild strawberries, some wild black berries, and some apple snail eggs. Apple snails are an invasive species that the city has been trying unsuccessfully to combat for a while now. It's interesting to me that the snails are considered a delicacy in other parts of the world, and here they are a pest.



Making my way back to the car, I decided to take a quick trip around the Charles Woods Japanese Gardens. I drove the short distance to the gardens, parked the car and noticed a commotion in the street nearby. A snapping turtle was in the turning lane between 4 lanes of traffic. I ran over to help him get across the road, nearly getting bitten in the face for my trouble, when a AT&T lineman came over to help out. I got the turtles attention and the lineman grabbed it from behind then deposited it safely on the other side of the road.


Then I went back to taking pictures in the Japanese Garden. As I walked up, I noticed a couple across the main pond from me that seemed to be ... intimate... so I avoided that walkway and just took a few pics. I was getting tired and hungry anyway, so I headed back to the car and came home.