Tuesday, November 18, 2014

My husband wanted Buffalo wings.

*Edit- A lawyer friend told me that to just be on the safe side, I need to say that you should cook your chicken throughly because if you don't you can get sick and die. *

Buffalo wings are a  food that I really do not like to eat. Unfortunately for me, my husband would eat them for every meal. As a result I've had to learn how to cook them and according to the husband I do a pretty good job.

I started with about 3 lbs of drummettes. It's a little more expensive to just get the drummettes but in our opinion those are the best part of the chicken wing, so why spend money on something you don't like.

I let the drummettes come to room temp, then threw them in a bowl with some salt and pepper and mixed it all up. In the dutch oven, I put about an inch of vegetable oil and let it come to temp. I used a piece of bread to check my oil temperature.  You just drop a 1 inch cube of bread into your oil and if it gets toasty in less than a minute, you oil is ready.

I dropped the drummettes in 6 at a time so I didn't overcrowd the pan. Put too many wings in and you risk lowering the oil temp too much and that makes for not tasty wing. I let them fry for about 5 minutes then turned them over so they could cook through and brown the other side.


Then I put them on a plate with a paper towel to drain while I loaded up the oil with the next batch.

When the next batch was frying I tossed the wings in the hot sauce that I had warming on another burner. You want your hot sauce hot. I don't know why but it just coats the chicken better if its warm.


Once the wings were coated in sauce, my husband got them and devoured them.





















Here's the recipes:

Sweet Buffalo Sauce:

1/4 cup hot sauce
3 TBS honey
3 TBS butter
1 TBS apple cider vinegar

Combine in a small pot and bring to a simmer then reduce heat to low.

Chicken wings:
3 lbs (about 20) drummettes
Salt and Pepper to taste
enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of a dutch oven to a depth of about an inch

Heat oil in dutch oven. Add seasoned chicken wings to oil in batches. Cook 5 minutes on one side then turn them over and cook an additional 5 minutes or until done.