Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Super easy one skillet supper

So I was feeling particularly lazy the other day and didn't really feel like cooking, but I knew that we would have to eat eventually. I noticed that we had a good bit of tortilla chip crumbs left in the bottom of the last bag we had and it gave me an idea. A quick check of the pantry and I came up with this tasty dish.

First, I browned up 1 pound of hamburger meat and then drained the fat.


Next I opened up a can of corn and dropped that in my hot pan gave it a quick stir and then let it sit on medium heat to get some caramelization going on those kernels.



Then I dumped in a can of navy beans, 
  a can of diced tomatoes, 
 1/4 cup of taco seasoning (because yeah we buy our taco seasoning in bulk)

 dumped the hamburger back in, 

 added about 3/4 to a cup of water (more or less depending on how much liquid you want)

 Let it all come to a boil, the reduced the heat down so the mixture could simmer.

 Chopped up some pickled jalapeño peppers

 and threw them in the pot

 After everything simmered for about 15 minutes, I served it up in a bowl with some shredded cheddar and the tortilla crumbs.


Recipe
Ingredients:
1 lb hamburger
1 can corn
1 can navy beans
1 can petit diced tomatoes
1/4 cup taco seasoning
3/4 cup water
1 diced pickled jalapeno
shredded cheddar cheese
crushed tortilla chips

Brown the hamburger in a large skillet.
Drain the hamburger
Add corn and sauté about 3 minutes until it starts to turn brown
when the corn is lightly caramelized, add beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning, water, and pickled jalapeño
bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes
Serve with cheese and tortilla chips