Friday, October 31, 2014

Pickle Juice Brined Baked Chicken

So, last night I was inspired by some posts that have been going around about brining chicken in pickle juice. At first I was mildly disgusted with the idea, but then I gave it more thought. A brine is just a very salty liquid that breaks down the proteins and hydrates the meat. Pickle juice is a brine. I decided to take a risk. It might be awful or it might not be. The only way to know for sure is to find out. Since I had just eaten the last pickle for lunch I had this jar of pickle juice to try out.

Now, I meant to take pictures of the process, but I really didn't think it would turn out very well... and I had to charge my phone, so I didn't take any pictures. I should have because this chicken was delicious.

Recipe:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts.
1 jar of pickles, pickles removed.
1/2 onion, diced
2 Tbs olive oil
salt and pepper

Place chicken breasts in a zip top bag with the pickle juice and brine for at least 30 minutes.
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
Remove chicken from brine, rinse and pat dry.
Drizzle olive oil on chicken, then add salt and pepper to taste.
Place chicken in an oven safe pan on top of the diced onion and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, turn the chicken over and bake an additional 15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165 degrees.

Of course this is the basic no frills recipe, like this is a basic no photo post. The chicken was tender and moist with only the slight hint of pickle. I made my own BBQ sauce to dip and it was delicious.

edit: the bbq sauce is 1/4 cup of ketchup, 1/8 cup mustard, 2 TBS Worcestershire sauce, 2 TBS hot sauce, and 1 TBS brown sugar. I only make enough for myself because the husband doesn't like BBQ sauce.