Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Honey-Mustard baked chicken, Lemon-Pepper corn, Pasta with Tomato wine and mushroom sauce.

Lots of goodies cooked for supper the other night. Sometimes I can surprise myself.

First up lets talk about honey-mustard baked chicken. I love honey mustard. I put a spin on plain honey mustard dipping sauce for this recipe by adding poultry seasoning to it. I figured since I'm cooking chicken anyway, might as well try and use this stuff up.

I mixed 2 1/2 tablespoons honey, 2 1/2 tablespoons mustard, a teaspoon of poultry seasoning, and about a teaspoon of hot sauce together.

Then I washed and dried my thawed boneless, skinless chicken breasts and gave them a coat of salt and pepper.

I diced up half of an onion to make a bed for the chicken to sit on while it cooked and pre-heated my oven to 350 degrees.

Spoon about half of the honey mustard mixture over the chicken and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, take the chicken out and turn them over. Coat the other side of the breasts with the honey mustard mixture and bake for 15 more minutes or until the internal temp is 165 degrees.


Next up is lemon-pepper corn. I discovered how good lemon-pepper seasoning was on corn entirely by accident. In the before times, in the longlongago, I was in college at Auburn University. Hanging out with some friends doing the cook out thing, someone had made corn on the cob. I grabbed some salt and what I thought was pepper to season my corn. But it wasn't just pepper. It was lemon pepper. That tart bit of acid with the buttery richness of the corn was just perfection. Now when I want to fancy up a can of corn, I just add some lemon pepper or make my own like I did tonight.
Just add a couple of slices of lemon and a lot of pepper to a can of corn and you have lemon-pepper corn. It's a really good side dish to go with the baked chicken.

And finally, my tomato wine and mushroom sauce. We have some friends that have gotten into wine making as a hobby. Like a serious hobby. Like entering national wine competitions and winning medals hobby. One year, to play with the chemistry, they made a wine out of some tomatoes and gave us a couple of bottles. Now we get the wine by the case and have to come up with more things to cook with the wine.

For the tomato wine and mushroom sauce, I started with a basic wine sauce recipe. Saute an onion, add wine and stock, simmer until reduced.
I took the other half of the onion I used for the chicken and diced it. I removed the stems from an 8 oz pkg of portobello mushrooms, and then sliced the caps.
 I melted 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium pan then added my onion and mushrooms. Stir to coat the mushrooms with the butter then reduce the heat to medium low so the mushrooms and onions can start to caramelize. 




















When the mushrooms are dark, deglaze the pan with a cup of tomato wine, then stir in a cup of chicken broth. Turn the heat up until the liquid starts to boil, then reduce the heat so that the mixture can simmer.



You want to reduce the volume of liquid by about half. Once the sauce is reduced you can serve it as is or if you want to thicken it, add in a cornstarch slurry. To make the slurry, add about a tablespoon of cornstarch to a small bowl, then add some of the hot liquid from your sauce. You want to add enough to make a thick paste that is about the same consistence as glue. Now, stir your slurry back into your sauce. If it gets too thick, you can thin it back out by adding some of the starchy cooking liquid from the pasta, or more chicken stock if you have that handy.





















Cook and drain your pasta, then plate everything up.

Recipes:

Honey Mustard Chicken
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 heaping Tbs yellow mustard
2 heaping Tbs honey
1 tsp poultry seasoning
½ tsp or more to taste hot sauce
½ onion - diced
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350℉
In a bowl, mix the honey, mustard, poultry seasoning, and hot sauce. Dice onion.
Wash and dry the chicken, add salt and pepper to taste.
Put onions in the bottom of a 9 inch oven safe skillet. Place chicken breasts on top of onion. Spoon honey mustard mixture over the breasts and bake for 30 minutes. Turn chicken breasts over, spoon remaining honey mustard mixture over top and bake an additional 15 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165℉

Tomato Wine and Mushroom Sauce
1 - 8 oz package portobello mushrooms
½ onion diced
2 Tablespoons butter
1 cup tomato wine (or dry white wine)
1 cup chicken stock
1 Tablespoon corn starch

In a 10 inch skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add diced onions and mushrooms. Stir to coat, then reduce heat and cook mushroom onion mixture for about 15 minutes on low heat until mushrooms are brown and onions are starting to caramelize. Deglaze the pan with 1 cup of tomato wine, scraping to get up any browned bits, then add 1 cup of chicken stock. Turn up the heat until the liquid comes to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.
Make a slurry with the cornstarch and enough of the cooking liquid to get a thin paste. Stir the slurry into the cooking liquid and continue to stir until thickened. Remove from heat and serve over cooked pasta.