Monday, May 12, 2014

Mother's Day

This past Sunday was Mother's Day. Everyone everywhere was wishing mothers a happy them day. This year was especially poignant for me. My own mother had died in 1990. That's far enough away that the hurt isn't as bad. Except for this year. This year was different. My husband's mother, my mother-in-law, died earlier this year.

When I started dating my husband, his mother accepted me as her own. She took me into her family. My welfare was almost as important to her as her own children. This means a lot when you are a gay man in South Alabama. Acceptance isn't something that's readily available in the south. My own family is not accepting. They are cordial. It would be unseemly if they were rude to my husband in public. But he isn't included. There are no presents for me to take to him during the holidays. They never visit us. So being accepted by my husband's family, especially by his mother, means a lot.

This past Sunday was Mother's Day. It was a difficult one. But the Saturday before, my husband and I celebrated 9 years together as a couple. This July we will celebrate our 1 year wedding anniversary. I know my mother-in-law is so proud of us. Because we are her sons.

Happy Mother's Day.