Friday, December 27, 2013

Making Spaghetti

I was working on a couple of new posts when lightning took out our modem. The modem is fixed, but I haven't got anything more done on the posts. What I did do was cook my husband a fantastic spaghetti and meatball supper last night and I teased him while he was at work with of pictures of supper in progress.
Because I am pretty damned proud of the way this spaghetti turned out, I will share them with y'all.

I love to zhoosh up spaghetti sauce from a jar, and this time I knocked it out of the park. I'm not gonna put in pictures of the mixing of the meatballs because pics of raw ground beef are so yummy...


The meatballs are: 1/2 diced onion, 1 palmful salt, 1 palmful black pepper, 1 palmful garlic powder, 11/2 lbs ground beef and 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce. I divided the meat into 8 palm sized balls and seared them in a pan on medium heat. Once I had a nice sear on the meatballs I took them out of the pan and let them rest. Then I added 1 thing of sliced baby portabella mushrooms. I added black pepper and garlic powder to the mushrooms then I reduced my heat to medium/low .

I walked away from the mushrooms for about 3-4 minutes so that the mushrooms could get a nice and brown without getting mushy. If I had stayed around I would have stirred the shrooms and if you stir them they will never get brown. After they had a chance to brown, I gave em a toss and let them cook a little more, then I took them out and set them aside with the meatballs.
Then I deglazed the pan with a little left over Petit Manseng we had from Cavender Creek. If you ever get up to Dahlonega, Georgia be sure to hunt them down. Their Donkey Hotie Red is awesome.
Just look at all that deliciousness. Once I got all the tasty bits off the bottom of the pan, I added my jar of sauce.
Then I added the meatballs and mushrooms back to the pan.

I let the sauce come to a boil, put the lid on the pan then turned the heat down to low so and let everything simmer for a couple of hours. 
Because I was using 80/20 instead of lean ground beef, I had to skim the hamburger grease off the top of the sauce as it cooked down. 

After the sauce had simmered down and thickened up, I cooked my spaghetti. Took my meatballs out of the sauce, then drained and added the cooked spaghetti. Then I plated up all the tasty goodness.
Bon Appetit